Hair Loss in Women

Hair Loss in Women

It is estimated that approximately 70% of women in the world who experience hair loss are genetically related. The remaining 30% may experience temporary loss of hair. Due to the social stigma attached, female who experience with hair loss are often reluctance to visit a dermatologist to find out the cause of hair loss but instead preferring to buy an over the counter remedy. A specialist should always be your first port of call as they are qualified to dig into your medical history to identify any other possible causes.

Causes of Hair Loss in Woman

Hormones in your body are known to play a key part in hair loss, so it is not surprising to know that any alterations of your hormonal balance may lead to hair loss. Study shows that up to half of all women lose hair after child birth. It is believe that part of the body's mechanism is trying to cope with the trauma of childbirth; it is also believed that it directly causes by the increase in levels of progesterone (which triggers the 'resting' phase of the hair cycle). Luckily this type of hair loss is only temporary and over a short period of time everything grows back to normal. Women also should be aware that some oral contraceptives contain male hormones which also cause hair to thin.

Women, like men also could develop widening partings and thinning of the hair all over the scalp, with age. This is considered normal. Hair loss actually starts in the teens or early twenties and by the age of 50 over half of all the women have thinning of the hair. After the menopause years, women will experience thinning of the hair in a more pronounce way.

It is known that some medicines that you might be taking might implicated to your hair loss. If you suspect this, go to you GP and see whether an alternative drug can be prescribe. The below list indicated that some related illness medicines may cause hair loss are:

  • medicines to treat cancer
  • medicines to treat blood pressure
  • medicines to treat thyroid problems
  • medicines to treat diabetes and
  • medicines to treat anemia
Hair loss doesn't happen overnight. It is medical related it could take up to 6-9 months.

Women who have a poor diet is another frequent cause of female hair loss. By taking natural supplements such as protein, iron and vitamin can easily rectified this problem (although high levels of vitamin A are thought to make things worse). You should be aware that significant threat posed by crash diets or rapid weight gain is interprets by the body as trauma. This may trigger hair loss.




Disclaimer: All material provided by Eag.org are for educational and reference purpose only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical care or attention by a qualified practitioner, nor should it be inferred as such. Always check with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about a specific conditions on hair loss. Eag.org will not be responsible or liable on how these materials are used.
Copyright © EAG.org All rights reserved